Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Rss Bot

Get more from ArtRage 6: Top tips to boost your workflow

In this article I’ll be providing advice and insights on ArtRage, a program I use quite a bit. I started painting with ArtRage when it was first released back in 2004, and it remains a primary tool in my workflow. It’s great to see the advancements made in its custom brush engine, which is pretty much all I use in most of my work. I’ll be going over some important areas during the painting process and revealing tips on specific tools that I feel might be beneficial.

My goal is to not only showcase the power of ArtRage, but to prove that you don’t have to spend a fortune on certain tools to create professional art. If you’re familiar with ArtRage but have yet to try the latest version (6), some of the new features include now being able to adjust paint depth and lighting to custom brushes. Smoothing has been added to the pencil, there’s improved smoothing for the ink pen and you can create deeper impasto effects and adjustable gloss for the oil brush. (See our piece for how to get started in ArtRage for a beginner's guide.)

For more on different types of software, including the pros and cons of each, also see our best digital art software roundup. 

ArtRage tutorial

The final image

This article originally appeared in issue 178 of ImagineFX, the world's leading magazine for digital artists. Subscribe here.

N98cVTZDhf6mgHTjFywU2n.jpg

Join us at Vertex this February

Join us in London for our unmissable event for 2D and 3D artists, featuring workshops from over 20 professional artists from film, video games, VFX and illustration. Book now: www.vertexconf.com

Read more:

View the full article