Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Rss Bot

Mixed-media art tutorial: How to watercolour over digital artwork

As an independent artist, I enjoy the creative process as much as the satisfaction of a finished painting. I prefer beginning my work in Photoshop because it gives me the freedom to experiment with various ideas quickly. Often, in this early stage of a piece, I like to explore abstract shapes in which I can find a theme or form I'm looking for.

Over time I've taken this early digital stage of my process further from sketches, to fully concepting out an idea and finally, to inking a piece digitally. It wasn't until about a year ago that I came upon the idea that's now a part of my process: printing digital line-work on to watercolour paper using pigment-based ink.

If you want to work your art skills, head over to learn the watercolour techniques every artist should know. Or, check out the best how to draw tutorials.

Why print your line-work?

When I first started experimenting with printing line-work, I used to take my watercolour paper to my local giclée printer. I recommend trying this method if possible before investing in a printer.

Printing my line-work meant I not only saved time, but also fully re-embraced my love of the digital medium. Incorporating the two almost equally has improved my artwork as a whole because I'm able to explore an idea before paint touches paper. When it comes time to use my watercolours, I can relax and embrace the subtlety of the medium, knowing that most of the hard work has already been thought out.

Watercolour: finished

The completed project

This article was originally published in issue 181 of ImagineFX, the world's best-selling magazine for digital artists. Buy issue 181 or subscribe to ImagineFX.

Read more:

View the full article