Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Rss Bot

Secunia: Open-source Libraries Denial of Service Vulnerabilities Series

By Jakub Jirsek, Secunia Research at Flexera Introduction In my recent research, I investigated six open-source libraries for previously undiscovered vulnerabilities. I was surprised how I could uncover vulnerabilities in most of them. The vulnerabilities result in a DoS (Denial of Service) as worst impact and are rated “Moderately Critical”. This write-up provides a closer look at each of the vulnerabilities. libarchive "lha_read_file_header_1()" Out-Of-Bounds Memory Access Denial of Service Vulnerability [CVE-2017-5601] Summary The vulnerability is caused due to an error in the "lha_read_file_header_1()" function (archive_read_support_format_lha.c), which can be exploited by malicious people to trigger an out-of-bounds read memory access via a specially crafted archive file. The vulnerability is confirmed in version 3.2.2 and has been fixed in version 3.3.1 [1]. Technical Details The root cause of the problem resides in the way how LHA external sections of the input files are processed by the library. With a specially crafted archive...

View the full article